This is the place where I round up a corral chock-full of mixed media art, vintage collections, digital escapades, and some occasionally snarky observations about life with junk, books, rescue dogs and nearly-grown children.

Monday, July 5, 2010

Patriotic Fun Finds

The fireworks are finished, but Summer in America is prime time for red, white, and blue.  I was busy parading Shelter dogs and helping at Off-Site Adoption events over the weekend, but wanted to post a few patriotic items from my collections.  Above is a cleaned-up version of an awesome flag design, taken from a photograph of a vintage flag box.  I don't have the original flag, but this is a superb design.

This is the cover of a vintage educational game--from back when learning geography was truly a family affair and not just something for a High School AP class.
This game is intact, with the board, question cards and colored map pins.  No one in the family wants to play it--they think I'll win. They're probably right, thanks to my liberal arts education.

Here is a mantel display from last year, with a trio of ribbons affixed to the side of an old, blue-painted carpenter's toolbox:


I am addicted to "smalls"--the little items in antique and junk stores.  Below is an arrangement in a hobnail milk glass vase (probably Fenton) made up of a vintage eagle flag finial, a reproduction of a deck of French playing cards featuring American heroes of the Revolution, and a Bicentennial celebration button I found in a Rosenberg, TX, antique store two years ago.

A display on a bookshelf from our house in Hawai'i (circa 1998) includes a cowboy boot planter filled with colorful flowers, metal cookie cutters, a Cow Parade figurine and an Avon blueware plate depicting Independence Hall, plus some flags, a Liberty statue and a handmade (by me) votive to Virgin Mary.


Below--a copper bank from 1976 depicting the famous fife and drum scene:
The Spirit of 76 is one of my favorites--I was a Junior in high school in 1976!  Below is a new-old stock patch I snagged on Etsy.

And a bit of Texana--a thrift store find--a Marching Band patch. 
Last, here's a photo of some vintage Americana collected by the owner of the Ross Antique Mall in Ross, TX:

1 comment:

Thanks visiting my Rancho. Take a moment to say Howdy. I truly appreciate my visitors and followers!