This is the place where I round up a corral chock-full of mixed media art, vintage collections, digital escapades, and some occasionally snarky observations about life with junk, books, rescue dogs and nearly-grown children.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Fun in the City

I'm back from my trip to New York City and Washington, D.C.  We spent three nights in each locale, so we barely made a dent in the list of things you can see or do. I've had company at my house from the day after I arrived home, so I'm only now getting to look at all the photos we took--my camera was used by three photographers (me, my daughter and my son) so the subjects varied!
Each of us had a shopping list--I wanted to go to Tinsel Trading Company,which turned out to be not far from our hotel in mid-town Manhattan.  My daughter and I perused the fabulous array of trims, ribbons, laces, appliques and other goodies in stock.
 Lovely ribbons in an old vegetable basket.
While I could have spent a lot more, I contented myself with a handful of felted ribbons, a few faux flowers, and two letterpress tags by Wendy Addison.
 A cast iron urn holds shimmery bolts of sheer fabric at Tinsel Trading Company
We did take time to visit one of the city's most famous landmarks--the Statue of Liberty.  We took an a ferry to Liberty Island where we spent "An Evening with Miss Liberty."
 My photo of Miss Liberty with an engraving effect.
It was balmy and clear, and since there were only about 450 people, it was almost like having a private tour, even if we couldn't go inside the museum.  The skyline of Manhattan was awesome, and we took so many photos!
The Manhattan Skyline from Liberty Island.

We went to Grand Central Station and rode the Subway to 14th Street to find a shop my daughter, pictured below, wanted to visit.  The station was full of stunning architectural details, along with shops and dining places.
Along14th Street, we were removed from the touristy hub-bub, and were able to appreciate the brownstones, tiny gardens and home-style cafes and shops.

 
It was unseasonably hot by New York standards--well into the 90s--so we got quite a workout walking along the avenues.
Back in Manhattan, we took a "Circle City" Bus Tour, riding a double-decker bus from downtown to the eastside neighborhoods and back around past the harbor and Wall Street.

Later the same day, we boarded at Times Square for an evening tour of Brooklyn that ended back at Times Square after dark, when the lights are stunning.

We shopped at the brand-new Times Square Forever 21 (my daughter is their target shopper) and then headed back to our hotel to pack up for Washington, D.C.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cathi,
    Thanks so much for visiting my blog. My first follower! Looks like you had a wonderful time in the Big Apple. I'm so jealous you got to go to Tinsel Trading. Love the Statue of Liberty effect, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks visiting my Rancho. Take a moment to say Howdy. I truly appreciate my visitors and followers!